Salam and good day
Nowaday, the crisis has rear its ugly head. In 1997, the crisis just hit in Asia Pacific alone, so the impact is not as bad as this time. This time the crisis hits worldwide and all private company workers are panic. Unemployement rates becomes soaring high and Economist expected it will take 5 years or more to recover. WOW! so long time brother.
What the impact on Safety and Health Practitioner in Malaysia ?. Even though the big impact is more on manufacturing sector (electronic, semiconductor and several other manufacturers non comodity), other sector such Oil and gas sector, shipping and etc are also felt the hit as a result of chain effect. Manufacturing sector nowadays are controlling or freezing OT. Stopping the recruitment to reduce overhead cost. Kesian to new graduate in our field where finding the job will not make an easy way in manufacturing sector.
For me, I felt the pressure where company cut cost until 30% compare to last fiscal year budget. How to implement occupational safety and health programs ? Give me a headache...But i finally make a decision to focus only to the important things, ZERO MAJOR ACCIDENT. I try to minimize to only the programs that give the impacts. Safety Patrol Audit and You See You Act programs are a must.
See below what the economy crisis has done so far : -
INFORMATION FROM PERBADANAN KEMAJUAN N.MELAKA (AS 5/2/2009)
IN MONTHLY INDUSTRY MEETING
1.Likom - Sent back 50 foreign workers
2.Koa Denko - Working 4 days
3. Ohara - Retrenched 300
4. Maxell - Send back foreign workers
5. Swanment - Reduce OT, plan to retrench
6. Kenny - Business still stable
7. Ornasteel - Slow order
8. TKR - Slow order
9. Panasonic (Semi-cond) - OK
10. Panasonic (Foundry) - Reduce OT
11. Panasonic (Pedma) - Close by 27/2/08, downsize business, from 3 plants to 1 plant only
12. MFS - Reduce OT, sent back 70 foreigners
13. Omega - 70 local employees on VSS. Sent back 550 foreigners. 10% salary cut for certain level. Total employees only left 700 out of 1300
14. Dominant - 25 local employees on VSS. Sent back 200 foreigners
15. Infineon - 59 local employees on VSS. No OT. Many staff resigned due to no overtime. 15% salary cut for director and above.
16. TEAC - Business slow, reduce OT and 14 local employees on retirement plan
17. Honda - OK but aggressively implementing cost down programme
18. Vishay - 100 local employees on VSS (above 50 years)
19. CTRM - OK
20. Majusteel - Reduce OT
21. Possehl - Only working for 2 days (office), 3 days (prod). 100 – VSS. Mac another VSS
LATEST UPDATE IN MALAYSIA. OTHER INFO
1. V.S. Industry Berhad – 1st quarter net profit falls almost 60%. 2 of the factories are facing critical downturn.
2. Flextronics – Has shut down 4 weeks (2 consecutive weeks for last Christmas/09 New Year and this CNY) and expected to resume work only next Monday.
3. Venture – Kempas plant is down to 4-day work per week while Tebrau has retrenched major contract workers and FULLY freeze OT. Either Venture or Flextronics is speculated to cease operation soon following a Taiwanese company named Foxcon would most probably take over HP business project from them.
4. Celestica – down to 4-day work per week.
5. Beyonics – down to 4-day work per week.
6. Seagate – 3 US based VP/Directors had been fired. Top management and executive level staff cut pay 10-15%.
7. Qimonda – Germany HQ is reported to apply bankruptcy following Germany government failed to provide financial support. If such happened, means Senai plant will be closed as well. Feb – Apr will be the critical period. Melaka
8. Panasonic to close 27 plants world wide and retrench 15,000 employees – Melaka plant to be shut down in March. http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/2/6/business/3205889&sec=business Penang
9. Spansion - CEO quits, chip maker seeks buyer http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/020309-spansion-ceo-quits-chip-maker.html
10. NEC (Prai) – work 4-day week
11. Intel to close 2 plants in Penang Island this year and shift workers to Kulim plant
12. Molex - http://sg.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20090128/tbs-molex-7318940.html
13. Agilent - pay cut 10% 14. Fairchild – work 4-days week 15. Avago – job cut about 100 ppl in December 2008 16. Molex – Chinese New Year shut down for 2 weeks World Wide http://4.jfserver.info/community/retrenchment/retrenchment_full.php?sort=firmtitle&order=desc